More frequent questions

Translation or interpretation: which is the difference?

If you are working with documents written, you need a translator. If you wish to communicate directly with other people who do not speak your language, then you need an interpreter

Can the sworn translations take digital signature?

In any case, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation are studying the question.

Revision or correction?

Within the sector these two terms of confused form are even used. We make the following distinction:

- Correction: The text without comparing it with the original one is reviewed and corrected. Normally it is realised to original texts.

How received are the translations?




Exception: The literary translation plays another league and usually is received by page.

What is a legalization and when it is necessary?

The legalization is an administrative act by which validity to a public document is granted, verifying the authenticity of the signature and the quality of the signer. 

The legalization works as guarantee on the authority of the signer of the sworn translation (the sworn translator), since in the foreign country they can not recognize the figure of translator sworn of the MAEC.

How much one takes in translating?

As almost everything in the life, it depends on many factors. As certainly you look for a numerical reference, we can tell you that the translation rate average is of 2500 words by d­a* and translator.

*Por day we understand 8 working hours.

My sworn translation goes to the foreigner, I have to always legalize it?

No. is Only when in destiny therefore it is asked for, reason why always better to ask the adressee of the translations.

When in the destiny country they do not accept the sworn translation, then yes an additional guarantee is necessary that it certifies the signature and the authority of the sworn translator of the MAEC. This is obtained by means of a legalization.

Be done sworn can translations of parts of a document?

Yes, whenever the organism that requests the sworn translation not is against.

Nevertheless, we have to consider what organism demands that asks translation, since he is this the one that will decide if it accepts the sworn translation partial or no. For that reason, before translating, better to ask who requests the translations.

There are official tariffs for the sworn translations?

The sworn translators can freely determine the honoraria that must perceive by their activities.

A sworn can translator certify the authenticity of an original document?

The sworn translators do not have authority nor legal capacity to decide on the falsification or authenticity of original documents.

A sworn translation to give in Spain, it has to take legalization? 

The sworn translations realised by sworn translators of the MAEC do not require any legalization nor additional certification, since the signature of the translator and its official certification are sufficient by themselves to provide legal effects in Spain.

I already have a sworn translation realised in another country, they will accept it in Spain?

  • It depends.
  • Generally, in Spain it is only valid to be presented before an organism of the Spanish Administration, the translation realised by:
  • a sworn translator of the MAEC,

by a diplomatic Representation or consular Spanish abroad (who will have to be legalized later by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation to be presented before the Administration in Spain),

In the case of local translations, so that a foreign translation can provide effects in Spain, she must be properly legalized or added by via diplomat or, in the case of the States leaves from the Agreement of 1961 The Hague, sealed with the Comment of The Hague.

I have a document in Catalan, I can make a translation sworn to the English?

  • The titles of translator sworn of the MAEC are always for the translation from Spanish to another language or on the contrary. The Spanish language always must be present.
  • Alternative?

Official translations by translators of the country destiny (to consult FAQ).

  • In the United Kingdom they request a certified translation to me. It is worth a sworn translation to Me of Spain?
  • It depends on each case. We see the options:
    • Sworn translation realised by a sworn translator of the MAEC. By our experience, usually there is no problem, but the best thing is to consult to the organism or the company that requests the translation if this option is valid.
    • When this organism or company does not accept the sworn translation of the MAEC, we only have left these options:

Translation realised by a member translator of the Chartered Institute of Linguists (CIOL) or of the Institute of Translation and Interpreting (ITI), which must add a certification to the translation.

In TcmAdvisory we offer both options.

The figure of the translator sworn in the United Kingdom

The United Kingdom does not count in particular on a system of €sworn€ translators credited by an organism, as we understand it in Spain.

For this reason, the institutions of the United Kingdom demand that the translations are certified (certified translations). For it, the translations must be realised by member translators of the Chartered Institute of Linguists (CIOL), of the Institute of Translation and Interpreting (ITI), who must add their professional certification to the translation. In the case of realising them a translation agency, this agency must be registered in the Association of Translation Companies (ATC).

Although this certification in itself does not grant any legal character to him to the translation, yes it serves to identify to the translator and his credentials.

Then, what you can do? Beam click here.